When we are doing digital marketing, keywords are backbone on which everything stands. SEO and SEM both can’t be done without keywords. Keywords which we use to advertise on our websites and landing pages are reflections of what customers are searching for and either reflects their answer/solution or quires/question they may be looking for. It is easy to find out the keywords people are searching for through google keyword planner or other online web service companies who offer similar service, but the hardest task is to choose which types of keywords should we use to advertise our product.
The type of keyword we use also plays an important role in determining the quality score of our ad’s and quality score of the specific keyword. As we know higher the quality score its more like that we’ll pay less for it and our ad’s which show at higher position, and with the new google update where they have removed the side ad’s from their search page run for the quality ad’s and score has just picked up pace.
Lets discuss below the types of keywords and when to use it:
1. Phrase Match Keywords- This types is most often and widely used because it may bring larger audience because this keyword will trigger your ads when someone is searching for the exact phrase of your keywords or a close variation of that phrase. Say, you are advertising for the keyword ‘Red Roses’ your ad’s are more likely to get triggered when someone searches for ‘red roses’ but it will also show when someone will search for ‘buy red roses’ or ‘I like red roses’.
2. Exact Match Keywords- Exact match is often used when their is very high traffic and cost for that specific keyword and you don’t want to loose your money and you don’t want unwanted leads for your product. This this type the ads will only trigger when someone will search for the exact keyword or close variation(misspellings, singular and plural forms, acronyms, stemming (such as plumber and plumbing), abbreviations, and accents). This keyword has highest quality score as it will show the exact search result a customer is looking for.
3. Broad Match Keywords- This match type is generally use for branding purpose because the search will include misspellings, synonyms, related searches, and other relevant variations. If my keyword is ‘Men’s Hat’ then my ad’s will also show up for searches like ‘buy boys hat’. Majority of the time it results in bringing irrelevant traffic on the sites, but it is useful when you lots of budget to exhaust and need to do branding for your business.
4. Broad Match Modifier Keywords- This is a powerful keyword and if you know how use it you can become master of it. It is used by using a + sign in-front of each keywords you want advertise as broad. For example ‘+Women +Shoes’ here both the keywords are used as BMM and the ad’s will trigger for both of the broad keywords, the search will include related searches and other relevant variations and it is not necessary that the related variant KWs needs to be their in your ad group list, i.e., the ad can also show for ‘Men’s Shoes’ because the KW ‘Shoes’ is a BMM. But when you use the same KW as ‘+Women Shoes’ the the ad’s will show relevant variations for women and phrase variation for shoes, as the KW ‘Women’ as a + modifier sign attach with it. This is mostly use to increase the impressions and clicks on the website/ad’s.
5. Negative Keywords- Any type of KW which is not relevant to your business/products should be added as negatives. For example if you sell only Italian foods, then you should ad French/English/or German as negatives because people searching French food may click your ads and that may cost you money but would be bad lead. Some common negatives which people add are how to make Italian food, recipe, reviews etc.
Playing around with KWs in a campaign is fun, but sometimes it may cost you a fortune with no ROI. You should always do a research on your product/service and the area you’ll be serving to find out which KW will best suit your business with less cost and more ROI.
For more detail on the type of KWs you should use or how to use please refer to the article on Google- https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en
The author of this post works with Digitech Control Pvt Ltd. The post will appear as written by Digitechcontrol.
Digitechcontrol is an IT consulting and Digital Marketing firm. Our Blogs are targets latest trend or questions in the industry and the answers/writings are based on research and case study done in that area.